Dotx Wind Turbine Controller
The DotX Wind Turbine Controller is a wind turbine controller. It is used by several OEM’s in their multi-megawatt wind turbines.
The Wind Turbine Controller is made in Ansi-C, and made such that it can be run on almost any PLC. The Wind Turbine Controller follows the GH Bladed DLL interface, and can be used easily on simulation tools such as FAST, Bladed or Phatas.
The benefits of this controller are:
- Performance: Optimal power curve, reduction of loads.
- Reliability: been running for years on 100+ wind turbines.
- Simplicity: Made to facilitate easy cooperation in your team using Git or SVN.
The controller has different control modules/features which can be switched on or off, among which:
- Speed Control: Optimal power and generator speed control
- Individual Pitch Control:
- 0P to reduce aerodynamic blade imbalance.
- 1P to reduce the blade root bending moments up to 30%.
- 2P to reduce the nacelle loads up to 20%.
- Fore-Aft damper:
- Active tower motion damping to reduce tower fatigue up to 30%
- Active Drive Train Damping: To reduce fatigue on the drivetrain
- Finite-State Machine based supervisory control:
- Includes states such as a normal stop, emergency stop, LVRT, etc. Also it is very easy to add new states.
- Extreme Gust Handling:
- Special control modes to reduce ultimate loads
- Model Based Fault Detection
We have various add-ons to the wind turbine controller which can be used also without having the full wind turbine controller (e.g. your own controller):
- Yaw Optimizer
- Pitch Optimizer
- Tuning Tool
If you are interested in the Wind Turbine Controller, you can try out the following options:
- Download our demo. The demo shows you step-by-step how to tune the Wind Turbine Controller for your wind turbine. It includes a copy of FAST, such that you can run all kind of simulations right out of the box.
- Ask us for help. One of our control engineers will help you with the installation of the Wind Turbine Controller in your similation environment. We will make sure the controller is properly tuned such that you can run simulations in turbulent wind. This will be done on-site or remotely for the fixed price of 1600 euro’s. Request a Quote
The download contains FAST, a simulation environment for wind turbines, a 5MW NREL wind turbine (benchmark turbine), and our wind turbine controller. After downloading, please read the Quick Guide for Wind Turbine Controller Demo first to help you install and run the demo.
Click here to download the Wind Turbine Controller Demo.
Wind Turbine: Pitch & Yaw optimization
Field Test Results
Problem: Wind turbines operate at a yaw error of about 6 degrees on average.
Solution: An Artificial Intelligence method to find the yaw angle that optimizes the power production.
Result: Increase in power production of 1.5%.
Wind Turbine: Controller Tuning
automating the tuning process
Problem: Wind turbines often run 8 or more PID loops, and many of them have strong interactions. This causes manual tuning to give sub-optimal results.
Solution: An automatic tuning tool which optimizes all the controller parameters w.r.t. the loads, and the power.
Result: The time required to fully optimize the control loops is reduced from two weeks to just two days.
Nordex is a wind turbine manufacturer based in Germany. DotX has assisted Nordex in research & development.
ECN develops new technology and conducts pioneering research in various ways into innovative solutions to facilitate the transition to sustainable energy management. DotX has assisted ECN […]
2-B Energy has introduced an innovative offshore wind power plant concept aimed at a significant lower Cost of Energy than competitors, and intends to commericialise this […]
EWT is a global designer and producer of utility standard high performance gearless wind turbines of 250kW, 500kW to 1MW. DotX has been involved in the […]